Trees are a very important part of our heritage and environment. The trees we see and enjoy today were laid down many years ago by our forebears who had great patience and vision. Here at Bogside, we aim to uphold this tradition and to that end we undertake a rolling programme of work to maintain current stock AND to extend the area laid down to trees. As these photos demonstrate, we have spent over £40,000 on planting new areas of strategic woodlands designed to use poorer parts of the farm to create habitats, wildlife corridors and shelter belts. These will hopefully yield a better, more diverse and attractive landscape, while at the same time produce wood fuel for future generations. We are also thinning other areas which supply most of our current stock and in time, these areas will also be clear-felled and replanted.
We hope the trees we plant today will one day turn into the mature 'old ladies' you can see all over the farm and that future generations can derive as much pleasure from our landscape as we do.
Many companies buy into the soundbite that is 'sustainability' while actually only paying lip-service to the concept. But here at LogLine, we 'put our money where our mouth is'. Our small wind-farm supplies 75% of the electric power required for our business, with the remaining 25% covered by our export of power onto the national grid.
This month we plan to electrify our log processing plant, thus cutting our carbon foot-print even further.
The idea of kiln-drying wood is bizarre as it involves using fuel to dry logs which would dry naturally given sufficient time. It is therefore wasteful with regard to energy use, very damaging to the environment and obviously more expensive for the customer. At LogLine Limited we use nature's way to dry the wood in line with our policy of sustainability.
We also encourage our customers to recycle their delivery tote bags, which again is helping with our sustainability.